Selling land is a different experience than selling an already-built home that sits on a piece of land or in a subdivision. Selling land means you have some different circumstances to think about. Let’s cover these circumstances with a list of questions to ask your realtor when selling land.
Questions to Ask your Realtor When Selling Land
- Do You Have Experience Selling Land? It might seem like an obvious point and maybe you think all real estate agents are familiar with selling land, but they aren’t. And, selling and buying land will come with its own particulars which is why you need to make sure any agent you are considering hiring has specific land experience.
- Do You Know The Area? If the real estate agent is familiar with the area, that can put you ahead in the land selling game. Area knowledge means your agent is already familiar with the selling price points, development opportunities, and features that many people are looking for.
- How Will You Market Our Land? Real estate agents will place your land listing on the MLS system to reach the most buyers, but will they also list it in other places? Will they use social media to extend that reach? Do they use other niche websites or listing services to market your land for sale? And, what about photography and highlighting important details about the land itself?
- How Do You Come Up with the Listing Price? A comparative market analysis is a must when listing a property to sell. This CMA will review land for sale and land that has sold in your area to provide a good starting point to determine how much to list your property for. Discuss how this works, particularly for land purchases, with your agent to understand how they approach this number. It can be vastly different than when selling a home in a neighborhood with comparable properties for sale nearby.
- What Should I Do Before Listing My Land For Sale? Consider a little maintenance on the land if it needs to be cleaned up and looking its best. And make sure to provide any information about the land that can help. For example, consider getting a survey before listing the land so buyers don’t need to guess or question the layout of the property. Also, explain the particulars about utilities for the land. Is the land on public water or utilities, or does it come with a well already drilled? A water test can help put your land ahead of other properties that don’t display these specifics as well.
Does Land Take Longer to Sell than a Home?
Land can take longer to sell than a home. Be prepared to be patient, and list to sell your land with that in mind. Land sales have a different market than homes ready to move into. Discuss this with your real estate agent to understand a realistic timeline for your land sale and what is involved with expectations.
Working with an Experienced Memphis Area Real Estate Agent
When it’s time to sell your existing home or buy a great new place, turn to a highly regarded and well-informed local real estate agent. You want someone that you can trust to give you the best advice and know-how for your new home purchase or sale. Check out my other great articles to help you through your home selling and buying experience here in Memphis. Staging homes for sale is also part of my expertise. Please ask me about it when you reach out.
Take a minute to learn more about me. With over 15 years of top-notch service for my clients, I can guide you with your house sale, new home purchase, or buying a great parcel of land. As a top, licensed real estate agent in the Memphis area, showing you the best properties for you and your family is my goal!
Contact me at (901) 828-8919 or drop me a quick note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can speak in person about your plans and options. Ask me about seeing homes for sale by video or virtual tour and find the best place for you!
Angie Kelley, Crye-Leike Realtors
(901) 828-8919 or (901) 756-8900