Are you getting ready to sell your home, but you find the front of your house looking rather drab? Your front yard, porch, and home’s exterior are the first things home buyers will see when they visit your home, and you don’t want to dim their excitement before walking inside. I know it may seem like a lot to ask you to spruce up the front of your home with the other tasks you have on your Get Ready to Sell list, but never fear – we have 7 simple ways to make the front of your house look good when selling.
Buyers decide in the first eight seconds of seeing a home if they’re interested in buying it. Get out of your car, walk in their shoes, and see what they see within the first eight seconds.
– Barbara Corcoran
How to Make the Front of Your House Look Good to Sell It
The good news is that you can complete all of these tasks in one or two weekends.
- Clean and Sweep Cleaning and sweeping are some of the best ways to make the front of your home look good when selling. Remove cobwebs, dust, yard debris, and dirt. Remove old plantings, broken or worn furniture, and wash lighting and windows to make this area shine.
- Flowers and Plants Add colorful plantings in tasteful planters, hanging planters, and window boxes to your front porch and near the door, stairs, or entryway (or all 3). Make sure these are living greenery to bring life to this space.
- Update Lighting Look for new lighting that illuminates the area nicely. Avoid harsh floods or spotlights. Select a fixture that is modern but tasteful, and still goes with the home and the neighborhood.
- Add Furniture If your porch allows for it, furniture or outdoor accessories can bring warm sentiments to a home. It gives a cozy appearance where someone could read a book, enjoy a quiet evening with family, or have a chat with a neighbor. Don’t overwhelm the space, but an area for seating with tables can be the right addition.
- Rugs Add rugs in front of the door and in any seating areas to pull the space together, and add some color and a friendly feel.
- Paint or Refinish Stain Rough-looking or worn front door or shutter stain and paint will quickly give a shabby appearance. Make these home elements look revitalized with a fresh coat of paint or stain. This will instantly bring your front porch to life!
- Weed and Trim Clean up any weeds in flower beds, and trim trees or shrubs around the front of your home. Trim bushes to keep them below the window line. A good weeding and trimming gives the impression that the home is well-kept, inside and out.
Best Way to Make the Front of your House More Appealing
Honestly evaluate the condition of the front of your home and make a list of the projects you want to take on. Gather the supplies you already have on hand, and begin carrying out the tasks one by one.
Spending a couple of weekends tackling these tasks will rejuvenate the front of your home and give your home a leg up with prospective buyers. Ask your real estate agent for some tips and suggestions, too. They will have a good idea of what is ideal for the neighborhood, help guide your choices, and provide advice on how to stage your house.
Working with an Experienced Memphis Area Real Estate Agent
When it’s time to sell your existing home or buy a great new place, turn to a highly regarded and well-informed local real estate agent. You want someone that you can trust to give you the best advice and know-how for your new home purchase or sale. Check out my other great articles to help you through your home selling and buying experience here in Memphis. Staging homes for sale is also part of my expertise. Please ask me about it when you reach out.
Take a minute to learn more about me. With over 19 years of top-notch service for my clients, I can guide you with your house sale, new home purchase, or buying a great parcel of land. As a top, licensed real estate agent in the Memphis area, showing you the best properties for you and your family is my goal!
Contact me at (901) 828-8919 or drop me a quick note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can speak in person about your plans and options. Ask me about seeing homes for sale by video or virtual tour and find the best place for you!
Angie Kelley, Crye-Leike Realtors
(901) 828-8919 or (901) 756-8900